Commercially-manufactured, ready-to-use CBD edibles like CBD gummies, lollipops, and mints are an accessible way to start your cannabidiol adventure.
The problem? You might not fancy sweets. If you’re a real foodie, you might even turn your nose up at the CBD candies that have flooded the market in recent years.
The solution? Easy — take matters into your own hands and start incorporating CBD oil into your cooking. A whole world will open up. Rather than limiting yourself to CBD sweets, you could soon enjoy homemade Michelin-quality meals with an extra twist.
What Is CBD Oil? How Does it Work?
The Cannabis sativa plant contains over 100 different cannabinoids. The main ones are THC (the psychoactive substance used to produce a high) and cannabidiol. Better known simply as CBD, cannabidiol is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that doesn’t produce a high.
CBD acts on the endocannabinoid system, a vast network in the body that plays roles in temperature regulation, mood, and memory, among others.
CBD products are classified as novel foods in the UK, and authorised products are legal to buy over the counter. Full- and broad-spectrum CBD products may contain trace amounts of THC, while CBD isolates contain no THC at all.
Public interest in CBD products has risen sharply in the past few years. Many people choose to use cannabidiol to support their general health and wellbeing, but you should keep in mind that research into its effects is still ongoing. As such, CBD shouldn’t be used to prevent, treat, or cure any specific medical condition.
CBD can undoubtedly play an exciting role in the kitchen, however!
How to Cook with CBD: A Beginner’s Guide
You can find CBD on the market in many forms. CBD gummies, tinctures, vape pens, capsules, and creams are all widely available. CBD oil is your cannabidiol product of choice if you want to get creative in the kitchen, however.
You have three basic options:
- Full-spectrum CBD oil includes all parts of the hemp plant and may have tiny amounts of THC.
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil keeps most parts of the hemp plant and can contain trace amounts of THC.
- CBD isolate oil is a pure product.
Creative cooking calls for full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD oil. These CBD products retain the terpenes and flavonoids that research has identified as responsible for flavour and scent — a perfect choice if you hope to create unique meals and drinks with CBD.
Essential Tips to Keep in Mind Before Cooking with CBD Oil
- Always use the lowest possible dose to achieve the desired effect. As a cooking ingredient, CBD is better compared to saffron (precious and rare) than to sunflower oil (which you may be overusing on the regular).
- Mix CBD oil with other oils — like coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil (depending on the type of fish you’re making).
- Don’t expose CBD oil to direct heat. This may change its composition and affect your experience and your meal’s flavour. Also, remember that CBD oil should be stored in a dark and cool place — don’t keep it on the counter next to your stove!
Inspired CBD-Infused Food and Drink Ideas
Still stuck? No problem. CBD oil is a surprisingly versatile cooking ingredient, but it’s only normal to need a little inspiration if you’re cooking with cannabidiol for the first time!
Check out these (easy!) CBD cooking ideas to get a better idea of the range of meals, snacks, and beverages you can use cannabidiol in.
1. CBD-Infused Avocado Toast
Avocado toast makes for a decadent start to any day!
- 1 medium-sized avocado
- 1 or 2 finely-chopped jalapeno peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A dash of lemon juice
- A little olive oil
- Your desired dose of a high-quality, full-spectrum CBD oil
Spread the mixture onto premium wholegrain toast and add a chopped tomato on top. Fry yourself a nice egg to have on the side for some added protein.
2. CBD Banana Power Smoothie
Feeling lazy? This CBD cooking recipe requires even less work.
Just add these ingredients to your blender and enjoy:
- 1 large banana
- Half a cup (about 120 ml) of soy milk
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A little honey
- A scoop of protein powder
- Some oats
- Your desired dose of CBD oil
Add a tablespoon of coconut oil if you want this smoothie to last you until lunch!
3. CBD-Infused Coffee
CBD-infused coffee is commercially available, but why not make your own? If you consider yourself a bit of a barista, you’ll be more satisfied with the results! Whether you fancy a nice cold brew, a lovely cappuccino, or a fancy latte, just add a drop of your favourite premium CBD oil for a surprising twist!
4. Savoury CBD-Infused Popcorn
CBD-infused popcorn is also available commercially — but why settle for second-best when you can whip up a unique snack? Making herb-rich CBD popcorn from scratch is harder than adding CBD oil to ready-made popcorn, but it’ll also give you a much better experience.
Add these ingredients to your shopping list:
- Popcorn kernels
- Coconut oil
- Dried thyme, oregano, garlic, and onion powder
(We’ll assume you already have high-quality CBD oil and salt at home!)
Next up, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add a little coconut oil to coat the pan, followed by the popcorn kernels. Cover the pan with a lid, and stay close while you wait for the popcorn to start popping.
Take the pan off the heat when the popping sounds morph from “heavy rain” to “slight drizzle”, and give them some time to cool down. Add your herbs. Mix the CBD oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil, and drizzle it on top, along with some salt. Mix thoroughly to ensure the CBD and herbs are evenly distributed.
Side effects may include a strong desire to watch a movie.
5. CBD-Infused Vegetable Stir-Fry
A spicy vegetable stir-fry can make for a tasty and easy dinner. Yours could include spring onions, carrots, broccoli, red pepper, some sweetcorn, and of course, garlic and ginger. Serve over instant noodles, along with a tasty sauce:
- Two parts soy sauce to one part rice vinegar
- Finely-chopped spring onions
- Finely-chopped chilly
- A dash of sesame oil
- Your desired dose of CBD oil
- A little honey
Drizzle this sauce over your stir-fry, and enjoy your meal!
Cooking with Cannabidiol: Let Your Imagination Lead You on a Great Adventure
We hope our CBD-infused cooking ideas have inspired you to come up with exciting recipes of your own! CBD oil is an amazingly versatile cooking ingredient, so long as you keep in mind that:
- You shouldn’t expose CBD oil to direct heat. Instead, add it to smoothies or drinks, or mix CBD oil with a carrier oil to drizzle it over your meals.
- Starting small is good. Have you never cooked with CBD oil before? Start with the lowered possible dose! Gradually add more to achieve the desired effect.
- You don’t explicitly need to look for CBD recipes on the internet — you can adapt almost any recipe to include cannabidiol, as long as you follow these tips.
Enjoy your CBD cooking adventure!